Recipe: Bacon & Egg Risotto (from "Bachelor's Banquet")
Indonesian-born Adhika Maxi, who had taken a course in Advanced Culinary Techniques at the French Culinary Institute in New York, was previously Chef de Partie at Michelin 2-star restaurant, Gordon Ramsay at The London, New York.
Singaporean-born Nicholas Lin, is a Marketing Consultant, who started cooking for friends and family since he was 13. Nicholas was previously a photographer for Martha Stewart's Living Magazine.
The bachelors, residing in New York City, are passionate about food and have collaborated to write a series of easy-peasy cookbooks for other bachelors. The first book in the series, entitled "Bachelor's Banquet" will hit the stores on 4 September 2009.
In the meantime, the guys have kindly offered to share a recipe from their book. I have selected this recipe, Bacon & Egg Risotto (as I love Risotto and bacon).
BACON & EGG RISOTTO (serves 2)
4 slices double smoked bacon
2 cups arborio rice
3 cups chicken stock (page 186), simmering
2 tablespoons celery, grated
2 tablespoons white onions, grated
1 egg yolk
Salt and pepper
Fleur de sel
Pepper to taste
2) Add arborio rice and continue to stir until each grain of rice becomes translucent and coated with oil.
3) Slowly add 1 ladle of stock and stir until the stock evaporates. Repeat this step for about 15 minutes until the risotto is thick, then remove from the heat and allow to cool for 1 minute.
4) In a small bowl break the egg yolk and whisk gently, slowly pour the egg into the risotto while off the heat, stirring constantly until both the egg and risotto are integrated.
5) In a separate frying-pan, sear the pieces of double smoked bacon until dark brown and crispy.
2) To finish drizzle with truffle oil and garnish with a sprinkle of fleur de sel if desired.
Click here to pre-order: http://www.bachelorsbanquet.com/Preorder.aspx
Notice: Pre-ordered books will reach you before 4 Sept 09, the date the books hit the stores.
Hard Cover: S$23.99
* Images from Bachelor's Banquet