Christmas Recipe: Easy Christmas Trifle
Quick Christmas Trifle
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 3tbsp , plus extra for garnish
- 4tbsp cream liqueur
- cinnamon, ground, a pinch
- 1 x orange(s), zest
- 200ml double cream
- 100g panettone
- 1tbsp brandy
- dark chocolate, small piece, to grate
1. Sift the icing sugar into the mascarpone and whisk together with the cream liqueur, cinnamon and orange zest.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the double cream until three-quarters whipped. Fold the cream into the mascarpone mixture.
3. Cut the panettone into small cubes, place in a large bowl and sprinkle over the brandy. Toss to coat evenly.
4. Place a spoonful of the cream mixture into the bottom of 4 serving glasses/bowls. Layer half the panettone on top, followed by another layer of cream. Scatter over with the remaining panettone. Warm a dessert spoon in some hot water and use it to shape four quenelles of the cream to place on top of each dessert.
5. Finally, dust over a little icing sugar and finish with some grated chocolate.
--------------------------------------------------- The 3rd and final dish is a traditional British dessert, Trifle.
The recipe calls for Panettone, a fruit cake that's available in most supermarkets during Christmas. If you are unable to find Panettone, you can substitute with Lady Fingers but do note that the sponge fingers are pretty sweet so go easy on the sugar.
Panettone in various stages of preparation. (1) Panettone unwrapped, (2) cut into cubes and (3) tossed with Brandy. I thought the Panettone looked a little dry so I doubled the Brandy.
The recipe called for Double Cream and Mascarpone cheese. I found the Double Cream a little too heavy especially since I placed the completed desserts into the fridge. Chilling the dessert caused the cream to set and take on the texture of ice cream. I will substitute the Double Cream with Whipping Cream (aka Single Cream) the next time I make this.
I'd forgotten to buy oranges so I substituted the zest from one orange with a tablespoon of Grand Marnier. The alcohol factor in the final product was not too strong so I think I can safely double the alcohol in my next attempt.
Here are the stages in preparing the cream mixture. I started off by covering the Mascarpone with Icing Sugar and pouring in the Bailey's and Grand Marnier then adding the Cinnamon before whipping it up. I then whipped the Double Cream lightly. Take care not to over whip the cream to avoid making butter. I then folded in the whipped cream to the whipped Mascarpone.
Layer the Trifle according to the instructions, top with grated Dark Chocolate and serve.
What are the three recipes that Gordon Ramsay and Gok Wan cook up in Gordon Ramsay Cookalong Live: Christmas Special, premiering on BBC Lifestyle (StarHub Channel 83)?
Email your response to "email@example.com".
The first 6 people with the correct response will win a BBC apron. (Limited to readers with a valid Singapore mailing address)
PS: Watched the program. I felt that it was entertaining but it felt terribly hurried. I would probably feel pretty stressed trying to cook to the program. I think I would prefer to watch it then try to replicate the recipes instead of hurrying to keep up with the pace of the program. However, different strokes for different folks, give it a try but remember to prep your ingredients ahead so you can have an easier time trying to follow the show.
* Cost of all ingredients were borne by yours truly. :)